Family Physicians Join Push to Reform Primary Care Payment and Regulation
On December 27, President Trump signed a massive end-of-year omnibus legislative package approved by Congress the previous week. The bill encompassed all annual government funding (appropriations), pandemic aid, and more, including bills with Medicare extenders. Key programs were funded and additional bill highlights include wins for academic family medicine:
- Teaching Health Center GME program reauthorized at the current level of $126.5 million through fiscal year 2023
- Opportunity for 1,000 new Medicare GME positions (200 per year for 5 years)
- Relief for the “Rotator” issue, allowing resetting of caps and PRAs for hospitals with extremely low caps and PRAs
- Changes to support new rural training tracks
- Funding levels for key programs, such as Title VII, AHRQ, and others
Read the summary.