A new STFM task force, with support and representation from the Association of Departments of Family Medicine and the Association of Family Medicine Residency Directors, is developing national guidelines that define the amount of time needed by faculty to meet the non-clinical requirements of residency programs. This is in response to a national trend toward maximizing clinical productivity of faculty, which reduces the amount of time available teach and to meet administrative responsibilities and accreditation requirements.
The task force is chaired by Simon Griesbach, MD, Assistant Director, Waukesha Family Medicine Residency, Waukesha, WI.
Specifically, the task force will:
- Develop Joint Guidelines for Protected Non-Clinical Time for Faculty in Family Medicine Residency Programs
- Make recommendations for dissemination of those guidelines
- Publish the guidelines in a peer-reviewed publication
- Publish the guidelines in publications targeted at hospital administration
- Present or identify speakers to present the guidelines at conferences
- Appeal to the ACGME for changes in its requirements
The Guidelines will be released in 2020.