Protected Nonclinical Time Guidelines
The following guidelines for family medicine faculty were created by a task force convened by the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine (STFM) and have been endorsed by the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP), the American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM), the American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians (ACOFP), the Association of Departments of Family Medicine (ADFM), the Association of Family Medicine Residency Directors (AFMRD), NAPCRG, and STFM.
- Joint Guidelines for Protected Nonclinical Time for Faculty in Family Medicine Residency Programs
Griesbach S, Theobald M, Kolman K, et al. Joint Guidelines for Protected Nonclinical Time for Faculty in Family Medicine Residency Programs. Fam Med. 2021;53(6):443-452. https://doi.org/10.22454/FamMed.2021.506206.
The following articles contain helpful information and research to back a case for protected time for nonclinical work for faculty at family medicine residency programs.
- Jarrett JB, Griesbach S, Theobald M, Tiemstra JD, Lick D. Nonclinical Time for Family Medicine Residency Faculty: National Survey Results. PRiMER. 2021;5:45. https://doi.org/10.22454/PRiMER.2021.338005
- Theobald M. STFM Advocates for Protected Nonclinical Time for Residency Faculty. Ann Fam Med. 2019;17(5):467-468. doi:10.1370/afm.2455
- Pollart, Susan M. MD, MS; Novielli, Karen D. MD; Brubaker, Linda MD, MS; Fox, Shannon PhD; Dandar, Valerie MA; Radosevich, David M. PhD; Misfeldt, Michael L. PhD. Time Well Spent: The Association Between Time and Effort Allocation and Intent to Leave Among Clinical Faculty. Academic Medicine 90(3):p 365-371, March 2015. | DOI: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000000458
- Shanafelt T, Goh J, Sinsky C. The Business Case for Investing in Physician Well-being. JAMA Intern Med. 2017;177(12):1826–1832. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2017.4340
Advocating within Your Health System
Faculty may need to demonstrate the need for health system change by building a business case with costs and benefits that clearly support their request. Protected time for nonclinical work is highly correlated with faculty retention and scholarly output for the institution. These free STFM modules take approximately 1 hour each and give practical examples & tips of how to target your messaging to decision makers within your health health system.