Our hosts are joined by Harry Strothers III, MD, MMM, who emphasizes the necessity for cultural humility in working with underserved communities to offer the best care possible. He shares details of how it's possible to care for the underserved and be deeply fulfilled in your career while also being responsible about your financial future. Our hosts and Dr Strothers encourage learners to plan ahead, take advantage of elective experiences, and surround themselves with people of similar vision along their career path.
Hosted by Tochi Iroku-Malize, MD, MPH, MBA and Omari Hodge, MD, FAAFP
- Edwards-Johnson J, Phillips JP, Wendling A. Student Interest in a Primary Care of Underserved Populations Course. Fam Med. 2020;52(1):17-23. https://doi.org/10.22454/FamMed.2020.486784.
- STFM Health Equity and Antiracism Resources
- AAFP Policy on Medically Underserved
- AAFP's EveryONE Project
- Personal Connection with Underserved Patients (Blog Post)
- Example of focused care of the underserved into medical training: UPMC Shadyside FMR